Follow the link for more information
Are you planning to retire soon?
If so, please join the Retired Members’ Section.
There are monthly Coffee Mornings at the Mayfair Hotel at the Lansdowne, a Spring Lunch and Christmas Meal.
Coach trips are arranged in May and July. You can also retain your membership of Unison and its various discount and insurance schemes, together with the Branch beach huts etc.
The cost – a one-off payment of £15.
For further information contact the Unison Office on 01202 451313 for an application form.
Details to follow…
UNISON BOURNEMOUTH BRANCH AGM 2017
David Higgins, Delivering his Branch Secretary’s report at the start of the AGM which was held in St Andrews United Reformed Church Hall, St Stephens Road.
He explained that the future will be a challenging time and UNISON will endeavour to be fully involved in all its processes and strategies appertaining to change. Members will receive ‘Right of Appeal’ support from the Branch if unsuccessful in applying for jobs within the Council and in the event of redundancies, UNISON will request the Authority to enable voluntary rather than compulsory redundancies to take place. To this end the Branch Secretary emphasised the need for more new stewards and for the membership itself to take an active role wherever possible. The Branch has requested that joint training between management and the Union be arranged to promote confidence and fairness in the reorganisation process.
Liz French, South West Regional Organiser addressing the meeting on the future impacts of Local Government Reorganisation. She also informed the meeting that she had just heard from Unison’s Publicity Officer that twelve Conservative Controlled Councils had written to the Government concerning lack of school funding.
All members are being requested to write to their MPs concerning this issue and to support all our schools in Dorset. The available information will be sent to Bournemouth’s Unison Office to circulate to its members.
We need members from all workplaces to come forward and be part of UNISON in an active and supportive way.
To find out more please contact Bournemouth Branch Office on: 01202 451313 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
They meet every first Wednesday in the month for a coffee morning at the Mayfair Hotel (near the Lansdowne); there are usually three coach trips in May, July and September; and lunches are also arranged at the Mayfair in the spring and at Christmas.
Forty-six members and friends recently enjoyed a great day out to Minehead with a trip on the West Somerset Railway (some members even had a cream tea on the train!).
For a one-off membership fee of £15 you can enjoy all of this – you would also remain a member of Unison and so could make use of the various benefits negotiated centrally as well as locally (such as coach trips and use of the beach huts).
So get in touch when you retire – and have some fun!
We are pleased to say that Joe Beastall, Local Fighting Fund Organiser for this branch and Bournemouth Higher and Further Education, will be staying with us for a while longer as his contract has been extended until 16th February. In the year that Joe has been with us he has done a great job in raising awareness about the Union and in recruiting new members and officers. We are therefore looking to do as many recruitment events as possible while we still have him to help us!
Help us to make sure that your working environment is fairer and safer, and that your friends and colleagues are protected in the workplace!
We are pleased to announce that Moya Ireland (Senior Steward, TRICURO) was awarded the Trades Union Award for services to Bournemouth UNISON members. This is the second time she has won the award and she was the only individual at the team awards presentation who has been awarded this accolade twice! One of the reasons that this was presented to Moya is the considerable amount of her own time that goes into assisting members in need of support. One of the highlights of the evening for Moya was ‘standing next to Darth Vader and a number of Storm Troopers!’
On Wednesday 30th November 2016 Sharon Mondon stepped down as Bournemouth UNISON Treasurer. Her friends and colleagues met her at the Moon in the Square to say farwell and thank you!
The Bournemouth ‘Stars in our Schools’ award was won by Sally Cooper of St. Luke’s Junior School. Sally, a member of UNISON, has won 30 ‘Stars in our Schools’ mugs for all of the members of staff. She has also won a hamper which will be shared with her colleagues at the school.
It was great to see the members of staff at St. Luke’s Junior School celebrating their success – well done!
Bournemouth UNISON stewards & officers got together for a Christmas celebration at the Dean Park Inn on 8th December. Everyone had a good time and we’re all looking forward to the next one. Happy New Year everyone!
Can you help support the branch, its development and its members?
We have a range of roles on offer to members
Roles that are available include:
- Branch Secretary
- Branch Chair
- Branch Treasurer
- Branch Membership Officer
- Branch Social Secretary
- Branch Equalities Co-ordinator
- Branch Self Organised Group Lead Officers to support black members, disabled members, LGBT members & women members
- Branch Education Co-ordinator (organising training & learning for stewards, representatives & members)
- Branch Life-Long Learning Co-ordinator (organising skills for life learning opportunities for members with any Branch Learning Reps & the employer)
- Branch Stewards
- Branch Welfare Officer
- Branch Communications Officer
- Labour Link Officer
- Branch International Relations Officer
- H&S Co-ordinator
- H&S Representatives.
All branch roles are open to any member who is interested. These roles have to be applied for (or reapplied for) at every AGM. A brief outline of the three key roles for this branch follows – look out for further information & application forms being sent out to everyone soon!
Facilitates branch and committee meetings, and may also be a senior negotiator. Main duties include:
- chairing all meetings of the branch and branch committee, agreeing the agenda for meetings with the secretary
- making sure that business is properly conducted in line with union democracy
- advising on procedure and rules
- making sure all functions of the branch are carried out
- working closely with the Treasurer and Secretary and other officers to provide leadership to the branch.
This is the main contact person with the wider union. They handle branch administration and work with the Branch Chair and other leading officers to provide leadership. They may also be a senior negotiator.
The details of the role may vary depending on branch size, but primarily it covers a wide range of duties, primarily acting as the strategic lead officer and co-ordinator within the branch, and supporting all officers and reps and ensuring good branch development.
This person is responsible for managing branch finances, including keeping accounts using the online OLBA system. This is also a key role in ensuring a branch is managed well. Main duties include:
- keeping accounts in accordance with UNISON branch rules and good financial management, and providing advice to branch officers
- preparing budgets for defined areas of activities for the branch e.g. recruitment, campaigning
- attending and providing reports on the financial position of the branch to the eight branch executive committee meetings and the AGM
- attending the one day OLBA training and the two day Branch Treasurer training.
- You will be supported with training and a mentor.
- Roles are voluntary but some roles are able to be carried out within paid work hours as ‘facility time’.
- The branch will pay all expenses incurred by anyone for any role. It will also pay for relevant training whenever possible.
- Don’t forget you can add these roles to your CV – so your volunteer role could be a career boost for the future!
If you are interested in any of the roles, information is available online at: https://www.unison.org.uk/about/our-organisation/activists/branch-roles/.
Alternatively, you can call the office on 01202 451313 or email them at email@example.com